By Kristi Reed
In the late 1800s, there were not a lot of options for lodging in downtown Buford. In fact, when the Merchant Hotel opened in 1892, the only other building nearby was the train depot.
According to current building owner Margaret Morgan, visitors to the town could step off the train, walk across the street and check in to what was, at the time, the nicest — and only — hotel between Atlanta and Gainesville. Read more.